Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Family time, an extinct notion on weekdays

Recently, my mother informed me about my cousin getting a job at a BPO. The cousin, who has daughter of about seven years, wanted to get make into the job market because she feared her two year break would make her unemployable. The cousin’s work time is from 5.30 pm till 1.30 am and I suspect she works in the administration department of this company. She will have the weekends off, which tallies well with her kid’s and husband’s weekend offs. 

Although I am happy for my cousin, I can’t help but think that the child will be able to see her parents together for a fleeting time in the morning. After that, she will be with only one parent. This scenario is neither uncommon nor surprising in most Indian metros. However, it makes me wonder, has family time during the week become an extinct species?

Joint families are thing of the past in Indian society now, except in North. In most households, both parents are working and the child, after school hours, is either looked after by grandparents, crèche or maids. In many houses, couples bring their parents closer to their house or apartments, as it becomes convenient for them to pick-up and drop off the child. So, after raising their own children, the grandparents’ lives revolve around their grandchildren.
With competitive job market and rising stress levels, there is hardly any family time during the week (Monday-Friday). The child is scuttled between coaching classes or extra-curricular activities post school, the parents, either one or both, come home late at least two or three days a week due to work demands. So, the only time the whole family – parents and children – get to spend with each other is during weekend. Everything is pushed to the weekend. For a story, I had to speak to some parents and I was told to call them during weekend, as they busy during the week.

This is a bit concerning because the child unconsciously learns that this pattern of working like mad dogs during the week and piling up your personal life agendas during weekend is an acceptable thing. But even during weekends are working couples really, 100 per cent free? The arrival of all these smart phones has made life more tedious than comfortable. Professionals are constantly checking mails, sending them, calling colleagues based on those mails, etc.

I am not sure what is the solution to this. But the rising trend of ‘weekend family’ isn't doing any good to parents, children or grandparents.  

2 comments:

Anuradha Miraji said...

Hi,

I am Anuradha. I saw your post on the Bangalore Book club blogspot. i and another girl , book lover are forming a Book club. How about reading a book together and meeting once in a month?



Would love to know your thoughts and have you onboard on our book club.

Anuradha

Anuradha Miraji said...

Hi,
I am Anuradha. I saw your post on the Bangalore Book club blogspot. I and another girl , book lover are forming a Book club. How about reading a book together and meeting once in a month?



Would love to know your thoughts and have you onboard on our book club.
Anuradha