Saturday, March 18, 2006

The lost traveller?

What should I identify myself with? Should I call myself a malayalee, a Mumbaikar or better still a “Bombay malayalee” as my politics prof. calls me.

I was born and brought up outside Kerala; even my parents were. Hence, there there is nothing wrong in me associating myself as Mumbaikar. Yet, I am called a “madrasi” (even though I am not a tamilian) in Mumbai and a “Bombaykari” in Kerala. It is very frustrating as I find it hard to associate myself with any one of these categories.

I have no ties with my home land, Kerala; have little knowledge of the customs and traditions and though I speak reasonably good Malayalam, am illiterate (I cannot read and write the language). With no relatives left in Kerala, I visit the place as a tourist rather than as a person coming back to his/her ancestral home or village. I am just a ‘namesake’ Malayalee. It doesn’t hurt but it does not alleviate me either. The feeling is neutral.

Even if we observe the customs and rituals though adulterated due to our influence with other communities, they are forced upon me. My parents and relatives in Mumbai do this to desperately hold on to our roots. But when a person does not feel connected to a certain culture, he/she cannot believe in it even if forced. I correlate with Ganesh chaturti and gudi padva more than onam and vishu.

There are also several malayalee youngsters, just like me, in Mumbai who feel ashamed at calling themselves malayalee. They speak Hindi or English at home and of course there are parents who proudly claim that their children do not speak or have no knowledge of Malayalam. This is sad because in an attempt to be a part of their surrounding community they desperately are trying to cut off from their roots. In the name of fashion, they are getting more entangled in the identity crisis.

This is not to say that one should adapt to their surroundings in another land so much that they forget there individuality. Rather, be in touch with their roots by atleast learning the language and perhaps reading the literature of our community. Belief and knowing from where one has come from is more important than displaying to the world that “we staunchly practise the customs even though we are not close to our community or state”. In a weird way, I feel my condition is similar to my cousin’s and several other young people who live abroad.

In the end, I still am clueless about my identify…

14 comments:

radiantbear said...

I'm sure your not the only cancerian soul in this delima so.. ;) dont worry.. but guess what u can call ure self a Malu, Plus a Mumbaiwali.. so. and sometimes a madrasi if ure lucky that is,.. what more stealth do u want for a journalist?

Btw., lovely blog here..

Cheers,
NY?

Diana Sahu said...

I see nanyaar's comment..surprising..he's too gentle in his tone??
Anyways,
Hey menon..i like u the way ur..Mumabaimalu.as Annath sir calls u!!
Nalini will surely identify u as a girli in severe identity crisis.but then lady, life is about living and adopting ur sorrundings as in the place where u live in..the fact that ur still searching for ur roots is very good.
beleive me, there are some people who dnt even bother to rememeber their origin when they come to a new place..and from yesterday's musings that u had with AABHA(where i looked like a donkey..trying to figure out what u guys were saying in MALU bhasa)..i could make out that ur so eager to know about ur own origin..place n language
keep the attitude goin grl!!

R.G.M said...

thanks di...i know i have to adopt to my surroundings n have always done so...but there is always this nagging feeling of 'where i truely call my home? where do i belong?'

R.G.M said...

i know 'nanyaar' am not alone in d various delimmas dat i face at every stage of my life, especially this identity crisis.

N it has nothing to do with my profession.

Anonymous said...

i can emphatise with ur situation coz am a confused bong bangalorean and face similar problems...
but as for ur identity...u are a nut...nothing more,nothing less,so dont be so confused

R.G.M said...

thanks mima for enlightening me about my "true" identity. i shall forever me grateful to u (u ass);)

Diana Sahu said...

hey ass...u call mima an ass...so i call u an ass!!!
waise identity crisis ka bole to muje Nalini yaad aa gayi...she is givin us identity marks on monday..be ready

Som said...

Continue with Mumbaiiya and Madrii girl,....
Nice pick up, should be appreciated.
Many Thanks

Ammey Kesarkar said...

I would rather have identity crisis than being categorized!
Be your OWN!

R.G.M said...

hey ammey,
thanks for posting d comment.

if one does not have an identity than where will d person belong. people take up identity or have to one to belong somewhere, to b a part of some group or perhaps society...

Saroja said...

kutty,
I feel this "where is home" pang too often..but luckily when I went to our ancestral home,something felt all "homelike" and all.

But maybe we can take another look at Kerala huh?Go sailing in the backwaters? ;)

R.G.M said...

@ ranjani

not a bad idea di. even i went to my ancentral home but didn't feel like home at all. it was like any other place...din't feel any link. Sometimes i think, if i will ever feel dat way

Balan Ji said...

INDIAN...just nice.....Don't worry bout the rest!

ankurindia said...

being a good and honest person is more important than being a madrasi or mumbaikar